Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Plenty of news, but nothing new

While there have been events worthy of comment, I haven't bothered to comment because I'd just be repeating myself. E.g.,
  • Catalonia
It's all about the money. Sure, the people on the streets will shout "Freedom" and "Democracy", but the ones pulling their strings couldn't care less about either. If Catalonia (and all its little "freedom-loving" friends, like Northern Italy) wasn't the economic powerhouse it is, I'm sure its elite would be a lot less independence-inclined.
  • Harvey & Friends
It's all about power. Which, incidentally, comes from...? From...? Ah, I'm sure you can guess it, just try to imagine what would Harvey need to control everyone and everything the way he did. Devious minds don't get very far without deep pockets.

However, even though I'll be repeating myself, sometimes the level of stupid does get to me. Case in question: "London is trying an innovative new strategy to stop air pollution: taxing old cars".

Seems straightforward - pollution is "suddenly" a problem; old cars create more of this "pollution" thingie; hit the owners of old cars hard for having the nerve to prefer an old car to a new one.

I'm sure that's the real reason we have old cars on our roads - it's not, say, that people can't afford a new car, nah. They're just pollutin' old buggers, and prefer driving around in old cars to annoy millennials and kill babies.

I particularly like this part (my emphasis):

The T-Charge, short for toxicity charge, mainly applies to cars that either use diesel or fail to meet European emissions standards adopted in 2006.

If you happen to drive diesel, it doesn't matter how old your car is, you're getting milked. It's irrelevant that you bought your car when both the car industry and the State said you were doing the Right Thing (TM). The industry lied, but it's got... you guessed it, money, so it's the owners of the cars that are going to pay. Doesn't make sense, you say? How cute. You're not an expert, then, right?

By the way, this is not why we have populism, these days, mmkay? It's because of sexism and racism. It's definitely not because we keep applauding and supporting politicians who throw people under the bus to save face and/or line pockets. And as long as those under the bus are not "Us", everything's good, "They" probably deserved it, anyway.

Me? I own a new-ish (6 years) diesel car. And I expect to be forced to pay for the "luxury", sooner or later. However, I've been preparing to adapt to it. I have changed my consumption habits to spend as little as possible in Lisbon, which I'm sure is on its way to also adopt measures that punish people and let the car industry off the hook.

Yes, I know, Lisbon doesn't need me. And I've reached a point where I only need it to visit my family. That's the only point where "justice champions" like Sadiq Khan still hold me hostage.

Sympathy? Nah, I don't expect sympathy. I'm sure I deserve whatever comes to me. Besides, like the guy said n the movie, "Show then no mercy... for you shall receive none".

No comments:

Post a Comment